Without a good regimen for your natural hair, it is almost impossible to grow your hair long. (That is, if your hair goals involves length) So, depending on the stage your hair is i.e. TWA, Mid-length aka Hang time or Long-natural hair, there are different ways to take care of it. Washing, Styling and general Hair maintenance in between wash-days are the first things you’ll need to know. Also note that, growing natural hair cannot happen over night because scientifically, our hair grows half an inch per month if you do not have any health issues. That means, 6 inches a year without breakage.
Washing Long Natural Hair
With long natural hair, sectioning clips are not necessary. You can simply wash your hair in braids and twists without worrying about your hair unraveling under the weight of water.
- Apply an oil, butter or DIY mix as a pre-poo treatment to each section.
- Detangle with fingers or a wide tooth comb.
- Cover hair with shower cap for 10 minutes.
- Then gently apply shampoo to your scalp to lift product buildup.
- Rinse out with warm water.
- Apply conditioner all over your hair and leave it in for 15-30minutes. This is called Deep Conditioning.
- Rinse out with cold water.
- While your hair is being rinsed with cold water pour diluted apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons to a glass of water) or you may use any rinse of your choice. This step is important because it balances the pH of your hair.
- When you are done rinsing, squeeze out the excess water with your hands and use a t-shirt to tie up your hair before styling.
You can find products for these steps through any of my e-commerce stores. Store
If your hair is short, you can find more information for TWA here. Build a Regimen – TWA
However, if your hair is Medium length you can find more information on washing it here. Build A Regimen – Medium Length Natural Hair