Without a good regimen for your natural hair, it is almost impossible to grow your hair long. (That is, if your hair goals involves length) So, depending on the stage your hair is i.e. TWA, Mid-length aka Hang time or Long-natural hair, there are different ways to take care of it. Washing, Styling and general Hair maintenance in between wash-days are the first things you’ll need to know. Also note that, growing natural hair CANNOT happen over night because scientifically, our hair grows half an inch per month if you do not have any health issues. That means, 6 inches a year without breakage.
As your natural hair begins to grow, you will have more hair to handle so you cannot be washing it like you used to at TWA level (when your hair was short). Following the step by step guide below will help you better on wash-day. You can always adjust this regimen to suit your lifestyle.*
Washing Medium Length Natural Hair
At this stage, washing is better done in sections.
Get some sectioning clips and part your hair into 4. OR, Twist your hair into 6 or more sections. Medium sized twists are better because they are not too small or too big to loosen when the weight of water hits it.
*Tip- You can Pre-poo, Shampoo and Deep Condition with your hair in twists the whole time.
- Apply an oil, butter or DIY mix as a pre-poo treatment to each section and Detangle with fingers or a wide tooth comb.
- Cover hair with shower cap for 10 minutes.
- Then gently apply shampoo to your scalp to lift product buildup.
- Rinse out with warm water.
- Apply conditioner all over your hair and leave it in for 15-30minutes. This is called Deep Conditioning.
- Rinse out with cold water.
- While your hair is being rinsed with cold water pour diluted apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons to a glass of water) or you may use any rinse of your choice. This step is important because it balances the pH of your hair.
- When you are done rinsing, squeeze out the excess water with your hands and use a t-shirt to tie up your hair before styling.
You can find products for these steps through any of my e-commerce stores here..http://bit.ly/Shopigbocurls
If your hair is short, you can find more information for TWA here. Build a Regimen – TWA